mandag den 11. april 2016

MC.VIETNAM / HUE / DA NANG JOURNEY no.5



March 14 / Mist is close between the mountains
Tang Ky – Hue  215 km.

I wake up at. 7 am after a windy night, a new misty gray morning.

I come dressed quickly, eat a little breakfast with the locals before they leave the cafe to go to work. I got quickly packed my motorbike and leave the cafe and the community.

Higher up in the mountains it gets really cold, as the fog here was more dense.




After 70 km. driving on the Ho Chi Minh Trail in fog, I choose to leave it. I can see on the map that there were very few cities on the route. If it started to rain, it would be hard to find a hotel.

After 2 days of constant driving uphill, I was also getting a little tired and a little dizzy.

When I came to the big city Khe San, I chose to drive due east, to encounter on Highway 1 and then turning south towards the imperial city of Hue. Highway 1 runs parallel to the shoreline. 




MC. trouble again

Unfortunately, this report no. 5 is mostly about my motorcycle problems. About workshops each in their own way trying to cut the Gordian knot. What caused it to my motorbike. instead of charging the energy breaks down consistently.

First, I ran out of petrol. I thought I could run longer on the reserve tank than I could. Again, I was lucky. I run out of petrol when I find myself in a small village. One trader sells at a premium, a few liters of petrol.

20 km. later, in a town before Hue, I suddenly It iagain appear to be dead. Again, I was lucky to find myself in a slightly larger town, not far from a workshop. The young mechanic looked at it, but gave up. He asked me to push it to a large Honda workshop, there was not so far away.


8 coiled distributor,

 5 coiled distributor,


They looked at it and found out the power distributor was broken and therefore could not generate power. They did not have an 8 coiled distributor, but switched it out with a 5 coiled distributor. All the workshop follow how my Honda again could get power. I was the last customer of the day, they have to finished before closing. I had to assume that they jointly technically knew what they did with my Honda.

The price for a new distributor was $ 10. But where was my wallet. I could not find my wallet with credit card, driver's license, the blue registration card and proof of my ownership of the Honda 125cc and dong cash. I ransacked all my pockets, my little backpack and my big backpack. I tried to explain to them that I may have missed it on my last hostel in Tang Ky. The only one who spoke English I got to call this hostel. I had taken a photo of the Hostelhouse, where they had a sign on the front facade and by zooming in on the computer, we could see their telephone number

They had not found my wallet. I got him to call the hotel I had stayed the night before again.  I had their business cards in my logbook. Unfortunately they had not found my wallet.

There runs many thoughts through my head. How do I get on when I no longer can withdraw cash from the ATM machine without my credit card.

Luckily I still had $ 400 in cash in my big backpack. Money I have taken as a spare if an accident should happen that I, for example lost my wallet as now. I would exactly be able to do the rest of the trip for that amount. I had not lost the international driving license, so it should be enough here in Vietnam.

I took a $ 10 bill out an paid. All the employees have followed my drama, they understand that I have a problem.

I pack my motorbike. again and was on my way to drive on. When I close my shirt a little better, I feel something down by the stomach religion. It's my wallet, which I must have stuck in to my shirt instead of an inside coat pocket. What a relief. I managed again to create a little drama with a happy ending.



 
I've been incredibly lucky so far with my various technical MC. problems. 

My breakdown, could just as well have happened while I was on the empty road Ho Chi Minth Trail. The nearest village with a workshop could have been 25-50 km.

In all my MC Journey, I believe that the Hindu elephant god 'Ganesha' which protect travelers and traders have had an eye on me.



I finally came to Hue and finds the old town

The old town is close to the Hue Citadel / fortress and palace. I find a hotel a bit away from the busiest tourist streets. I am lucky to find an OK hotel.

It has been a tiring long day, so I'm very tired in the back. So I choose to immediately lay on my back 20 min. in the position we call hatha within the perfect position of rest Savasana. If you can keep the consciousness in a state between deep sleep and waking, 20 min. respond to rest for three hours of sleep. The spine also gains new energy.

Usually I fall asleep, but when I do I  sleep not more than 20 minutes, then I do not get into the deeper sleep, then it may be difficult to get back to waking consciousness. These 20 min. in savasana, I have practiced daily for the last few years. It keeps my brain more fresh and clear throughout the evening.

 
















Hue Citadel / fortress and palace is very fascinating. It was built in 1805 on the same principles and style as 'Forbidden City' in Beijing 















I drove out to a pair of the Royal Tombs. This Kai Dinh in 1925, was the last royal tomb in Hue and the most impressive. 












After having filmed on the local market, I drove into the small narrow residential streets in search of some situations that were worth filming. On my way, I noticed some beautiful overdue local small temples
















There are still problems with power and force to the starter

The start button worked perfectly when I drove from the Honda Service Center. But already 20 km. later in Hue, I can not use the start button.

So every time I stopped to take a photo, I had to stop the motor. Get of the motorbike to take photos in the right angle and distance. So every time I have to stop and take a photo, my subconscious gone on the defensive in fear that there would be problems with starting. It clearly tapped me for energy.













After 50km. driving I discovers that there again are no light on the MC and I therefore not can drive in the evening. I now again have to contact a new medicine man who can make a new diagnosis on my motorbike.

I find a small workshop and the local medicine man conclude that it is the distributor, there is something wrong with. I try to tell him, that it has just been replaced, so it can not possibly be that there is something wrong with. I've had a great Honda repair shop to replace the sick distributor with a new one. Since I will not let him open and look at the distributor. Then he will not have more with my motorbike to do. 






This is some of the older tombs






These are some of the newer colored funerary monuments







 




I decide that I have to find a Honda Service Center here in Hue. I had taken my computer with, that show the other Honda repair shop had just replaced the distributor.

I found a  Honda sales workshop in Hue. It was 16: 00 when I arrived. They were about to close and I understood that they would first open again after the weekend. Today it was only Thursday, so I did not understand it properly.

One of the young people could see that I had a problem when I was only passing through. On my city map of Hue, he pointed out where I could find a workshop that could help me with my MC electrical problem.





Being referred to the city of Hue's Best Mechanic

The workshop boss Kim worked very speedy, could speak English. I explained to him and showed photos from Honda workshop where distributor had just been replaced with a whole new and I a couple of weeks ago, had bought a new battery.

Kim told me that the 5 coiled distributor they had given me instead of the old 8 coiled distributor, instead of charging the energy now drained it for energy. Therefore, there was not enough power to either light or starter.

He would tomorrow try to get a used 8 coiled distributor that suited my Honda 125cc. but he could not promise that he found one.

I left MC with him so he could charge my brand new battery slowly during the night. We agreed that I showed up at. 9 am the next morning,.I had planned to drive further to Da Nang.

I had hoped he had found a used distributor and had inserted it when I came. They had divorced MC and had emptied the tank for petrol and had begun to seal it properly as it still leaked gasoline. They also were persuaded me to get extended rear wing, so I avoided splashing in the neck.

He had not been out of the city, to dust off a used distributor up.

All backpacker appeared to be referred to him as he spoke English and had a know-how that not many other mechanic seemed to have. He had both to serve everyone who stopped with MC problems as well as help and explain to the young people in the workshop, how to solve problems as they seemed more inexperienced.

Given the rapid appeared new backpack customers up, as he spent time explaining what was wrong with their machine. The new task was then delegated on to the youth in the workshop.

First after two hours he took off to find the power distributor. It took one hour, then he came back with a power regulator and other special parts for the other MC which was being repaired.

I must say that besides being a fast man he also took the time to make things more thoroughly than I have seen at other workshops.



 
The charming speaking bicycle mechanic

Fortunately I was able to use the small cafe there was combined with a bicycle workshop. Here I could sit in the shade to the sun's rays, with a cold juice and process my photos on the computer. Bicycle mechanic tried to tell me a lot on in poor English, but it was impossible for me to understand, in addition to a few sentences.

Finally Kim had replaced the power distributor. The wires arranged and the side plates screwed on properly, because the whole system was falling apart. The headlights shone. The starter worked. I gave up trying to get the backlight to work, when I see that the glasset would be ruined. 

at 4:30 pm was my MC quite ready so I could drive to Da Nang. It was a hard birth, in all I had waited 7 1/2 hours. If I not had waited, I would first been off the next day.

Watching the sun go down behind the mountains before I reach Da Nang



March 17 / Reaches Da Nang 6:30 pm
Hue – Da Nang  100 km.

When I reach the Da Nang after 2 hours of direct drive, I easily find the road along the river's edge and Barney's Hostel that I had been recommended by a Servas member. I stop MC to coordinate with GPS. It refers about 2km. wrong.

When I start the MC, I observe that it again lacks the power to both start and light. It is already dark. Lucky that I have only 2km. more driving without light. A kind soul stopped and helped push me going.

Barney Hostel was more for the young people here they can sleep cheaply and meet others like themselves there are traveling to learn about other cultures. I have over the years acquired  different habits and therefor do not have the fitting skilled as young people.

I sleep very easily. I have started talking in my sleep and sometimes I knocked out after imaginary people.I have to use the toilet middle of the night. I snore slightly. Therefore, I have had many excuses not to test this hostel concept .

But it's nice with some fresh positive energy around one. I do not think the young mind a few older, we simply do not crowd the young from their hunting grounds.
  
At Barney Hostel I am greeted with hot tea, when I book in. My Servas contact know the young couple driving Barney Hostel. She is Vietnamese, he is also from Italy and had sreserved a room for me for only $ 8.


Servas means "to serve", meaning "make peace", in the language Esperanto

In Vietnam there are very few members of the organization. When I was in Hanoi, I tried to get in touch with a few, who unfortunately did not have the chance to have me living a few days.

The only town on my route in addition to Hanoi, where I could find some Servas members were in the city of Da Nang. Here I got in touch with a member, which unfortunately currently not had the chance to have me staying with him. But he would like to meet me.

Way back in 1972, I was a few years 'Servas Host'

Servas is an international, non-governmental, guest freedom of association found in more than 125 countries and is run by volunteers. Founded in 1949 by Bob Luitweiler (Askov / Denmark) and his friends as a peace movement, Servas International is a non-profit, global, cooperative, cultural exchange networks that bring people together to build understanding, tolerance, mutual respect and world peace. Like other guest liberty organizations, promote world peace by promoting the individual person-to-person contacts. Servas means "to serve", meaning "make peace", in the language Esperanto. The organization was originally called Peacebuilders.

According Servas 'statute the objective: "to build world peace, goodwill, and understanding by Providing personal contacts with people of other cultures and backgrounds, two share the hosts' bor og deres concern on social and international problems, sina interest in creative activity and mutual responsibility for deres fellow man. "

It is a rule that you can only live with a host in two days unless the host unsolicited invites your to stay longer. Servas is based 100% on trust. You must be open, outgoing, considerate and interested in your hosts lives, attitudes and be willing to share your views and experiences of your hosts will ask many questions. You must be able to speak English or the local language.

That is a much more binding network that goes more deeper than the present more youthful lets get together'system as Couchsurfing based on where you surf more on the surface. no direct obligations to each other.

Today I meet short the Servas member who also appears to be Italian. He has been married to a Vietnamese and has lived in Vietnam for 20 years. He is a doctor and has worked most of his worklife in UNESCO, now he was building a kind of hospital for the poor as well as a training center for nurses. So he had not so much time to give me some infomation a about Vietnam.

I had otherwise plans to visit Hoi An, which would is a historic old quarters with buildings inspired by Chinese and Japanese architecture.

Because of my MC problems I decided not to visit Hoi An but insteadt drive the 100 kilometers back to Hue, to Kim and his workshop to solve the Gordian knot. What is the reason that my MC still not charging but discharging.

The view from Barney Hostel





The hostel is beautifully simple in its creative design and layout, with lots of visual vivid detail  

 







Pha Do Pagoda


Cao Dai Temple 

 Da Nang Cathedral 1923

I drove around the city and saw some of the churches and temples the tourist guide told, was the most interesting




Love here from Da Nang

Bjarne v.H.H.Solberg










Ingen kommentarer: