torsdag den 19. januar 2017

MC.MYANMAR / MAGWAY / PYAY / OKKAN / JOURNEY 2017 no.4


















Dec. 28 / I follow the great river Ayeyarwady
Bagan – Magway 175 km.


I came off at 9:00 pm. On the way out of the Bagan area, I take photo of a little more Pagodas.

The sun is shining again today and I enjoy the beautiful views over the green landscape broken by individual rows of trees. I follow the great river Ayeyarwady some of the way towards Magway. At times I can see the mountain ranges faintly through the mist. The roads were at times uneven, but OK. Today again there was very little traffic.













































They see me, therefore exist I 

I stopped when I saw some simple solar panel standing in front of some huts. One is directly coupled to a car battery. Surely a cheap and simple way to provide alternative power. It is only now that I notice that many simple wooden houses with bamboo mats, has a single solar panel facing the sun in front of their house / cabin so they so self-sufficient to a certain limit.

I stood by my MC. and with signs, I ask the residents if it's OK that I take photo of their solar panels. In addition to the solar panels I also take photo of them and their homes. A young guy making a sign to me to follow him to his family's house. While I take some photos of the family, he has been running at the local and bought a few bottles of water and a couple packages cakes, which they will offer me. They fetch a plastic chair for me and a stool as a table. I ask for a cup of water, because I do not need a big bottle of water. I take on a simple cake, even if the mother is trying to pressure me to eat more. I am the only one who gets the cake, maybe because I'm the guest.

The mother insisted that I should take the package with cakes and bottles of water with me. Thank friendly no thanks. I would then go around to the neighbors to take photos. They are friendly, smiling and accommodating. It helped of course that some curious children followed at my heels.

It was hard for me to form an impression of how many and how much space and how many things and furniture, they actually had in their simple dwellings.

Photo is now nothing new more, even for those who should be far away from large cities, where only a few have the energy to buy a smartphone, out here where only a few safe afford smartphone. There were some neighbors who would love to have me on their selfish photos.

I ask the young man about his address when I wanted to send paper photos that they can hang on the wall.

To photografh is a kind of communication process where I put them in the center, they are seen and made aware that they are. They are additional confirmed when they see themselves pictured on the small screen, in that they are and they are seen.






Hotel via internet

At Hotel Aung Mingsalar Hotel, one of the employees told me that if I ordered the room via internet, there was a great chance that I could get a room for something cheaper, at their hotel. There were no rooms available via the booking. But they had a vacancy at full price.

I have lost faith that I can find cheap, inspiring alternative guesthouse. It seems that few, have a visual beauty and decay as you find them in India. Here is the ugly new buildings. Their traditional wooden houses have a much shorter life than brick houses.

By going online, I have the opportunity to choose the type of hotel and price I think is the best immediate choice.  I do not get the big hassle it is to identify the various hotels and check them out.

Hotel Magway, which I ordered over the Internet, were similar to what I had visualized me, via their website.







Dec. 30  / Not everything can be guarded against
Magway - Pyay 214 km.

It was a grueling long trip with rough roads sometimes again, so I'm very tired in the back.

I had again chosen to use the net when I via Lonely Planet could see that there was not some Guest Houses in Pyay.

Mya Kyun Nadi Hotel was as I through the network had expected. There was a little green outside the windows to look at.
  
On the web, you can not guard against only 50 m. from one room to run rattling and honking trains passing an the hotel is in full swing to expand.

In my room Wifi went out quite often so I chose to put myself in the main building in order to conclude a blog. Some of the young people who work at the hotel, had gone to sleep on some blankets, while others watched TV.






















Quiet sunny morning

I enjoy the lovely sunshine outside my window here early in the day. It's perfect weather for me. It is 30 degrees during the day and 18 at night.

While I am writing to do some thinking before I'd just like everyone else disappear into the new year. Room service had started. A young boy sweeps and then polishes the tile floor, with a large piece of cloth, which he with his feet makes swinging movements from side to side across the tiled floor like a skater. He disappears to the next room and another young boy comes with towels, soap, etc. a new young come and fix the toilet, another saves the bed and the last handle matters that are thrown outside the rooms.


Alternative Hindu New Year

I do not really know what to do on this consciousness significant day / evening. I asked the young hotel receptionist what she and the other young people had thought to do this New Years Eve. They had perhaps going to find at some together.

I went towards the center to buy some fruit for my lunch. It was difficult to find a fruit seller. They sit safely on the market somewhere in the city.

I drove down a side street and saw a group of Hindus with bare torso and sarong that gets washed feet before disappearing into the small house. I go closer by curiosity. I got invited to come inside and take photos, of their New Year's seance.

I was brought up on, into a small room that was packed with people. Forrest sat the very young boys on the floor with a group of men. At the back of the room sat the women and a few young children.























They were already well underway with a meditative form of songs, chanting, rhythmic became faster and faster, accompanied by drums and rhythm instruments to finally reach a climax. They continued with different rhythmic melodies and meditative recitations, which slowly became more rapid and thus slowly built up energies. A few of the men switched to being lead singers and sometimes sang some of the young boys with their high-pitched voices.

I could hear that this group of Hindus, cultivated the musical in their common meditation sessions.























In the midst of the whole palaver is an older woman who goes into a kind of physical ecstasy. So some of the men must hold her fast. It might remind you a little witches expulsion. One of the people who keep her was standing right in front of me, so I could not see how the ecstasy seized her body and face, but I could instead physically feel the tension in her body via the person who held her when I was squeezed up against the wall and physics had to keep them at bay.

After the seance which took an hour, I was offered vegetarian lunch on a palm leaf. Hindus eat not meat. Buddhists should contrast well eat meat as long as they have not killed the animal.

I got the address to the Hindu temple, so I can send some photos from the seance.

 



I would like to see their little Hindu temple, but the gate was locked. The guru asked me to come again at 5 pm so I could see the temple. This small, simple temple shows just how few Hindus found in Myanmar. Maybe 2% Hindus.























At 5 pm I showed up at the small Hindu temple. The guru asked me to wait a bit. He wanted to get in his meditation clothing as well as make the temple altar ready. He then gave me a personal blessing. I sacrificed some money to the gods and I got gifts from them.


















Blessing gift: flowers, lemon and color powder for the third eye.



















Two of the young Hindus showed me another little humble holy Hindu place. Here I took some pictures of happy and friendly neighbors who seemed to think it was exciting that I was interested in them.










Muslim Cemetery: There are 4% Muslims in Myanmar




Jan. 2 / The dripping rains even though the sun is shining
Pyay – Okkan  256 km.

After an additional write day, I was ready to move on. Today the weather is a bit cloudy else has it each day been sunshine. The road is still OK and still surprisingly little traffic.

I have chosen Kaikyl as the next overnight place, as the city is about 200 km. from Pyay. I can not find any hotels on the internet, although it is a second-rate town.

I reach Kaikyl and find after some difficulty a Guest House. They can not let me stay because I am a foreigner. Only if the police permit. So I have to go to the city police station. They give me the message that I unfortunately can not stay at the Guest House, as it was not approved by the military government. So it ended up that I had to drive 20 kilometers. back to the city Okkan.

That's probably why The hotels and guesthouse is twice as expensive than in Vietnam, Indonesia and India for the same standard. They may pay more in tax directly to the military regime.

I easily found the hotel in Okkan. Since it was only one night I had to stay overnight, I chose a cheap single room. I probably could well manage to sleep in a cell a simple night. The cold light of a single bulb, did not help the mood. 

My MC. was dragged into the lobby as the one also had to be there tomorrow.




Beadwork factory

I drove past a large sort of storage building, where in the doorway stood a few young women. In front of the warehouse are hundreds of women's bicycles lined up. I thought as I drove past. It may not be a standard. school, maybe it is a textile mill or something similar. When I got the idea I stopped immediately, even though I had reached a piece by.

This idea was worth pursuing. A weaver would be exciting to watch.

The young women in the doorway pulled farther into the warehouse, as I approached. I looked into a giant sewing room, where at least sat hundred young girls of 13-14 years. They sat in small groups around a sort tables without worktop like in a huge class room. Instead of countertops were excited an open mesh lace fabric in addition to the table so they could sew beads on substance, both below and above. It was not normal. school learning was going on in the approximately 10 m. High warehouse, but it was a pearl embroidery factory.

I tried to get in touch with the two young women. They communicated with a slightly older woman. The two young women were rather shy. But then they took together and told me that I was not allowed photographers.

It was boring, because here was an opportunity to take some great photos. - I was certainly denied access because the owner of this sewing factory, certainly not like that, for example, if the photos, show the appalling conditions the young girls working under, for a very low salary.





















Broadway costume workshop

When I was on a study trip as a stage designer in New York back in 1981. I visited the costume workshop which sewed dresses for the show The Little Foxes. At costume shop sat there very young girls and hand sewn beads on the dress as Hollywood star Elizabeth Taylor would have on as lead actor in the play The Little Foxes, who were to play in a Broadway theater.

I asked why they sacrificed so many precious hours on the detailed details of a dress, most spectator could not see. No, the crowd might not the details, but it can Elisabeth Taylor.

Workshop manager told me that they used very young girls to sew this kind of beadwork, because in that age they has a very sharp vision. But after a few years, they have worn their sharp vision down because of overwork.

With some years of experience, I now know that details can be seen and experienced, even at a distance. The costumes cut and form get more depth and life, if all the details are worked out perfect.

Henry Heerup / On the path of life1961

Henry Heerup / The atomic bomb 1961


A little about my own artistic activity

Just before I went on this MC.Journey, I was told that I had received the Artist Henry Heerups awards. Immediately a great surprise and a great honor.

In my consciousness is Heerup entire Danish people's artist. Even the Danish workers has taken his symbolic figurative visual universe for themselves. If one were to choose an artist that best symbolize the Danish psyche, it would probably be him, you would first think of.

I had like Heerup, over the years worked with symbolism, as the main element in my installations. However, my symbolism more abstract, academic and dualistic in its expression.

Like Heerup I believe that Art with large 'A' can affect human consciousness. In parallel with the political economic struggle for a just distribution of material goods and power, there is an equally important battle to fight, namely the spiritual intellectual freedom, to open up people's senses and experience of the world and its cultural diversity. No one is happy only of material goods.

Therefore I have from the very beginning as an artist decided that I would create metaphysical installations that do not require to be understood, but to be seen, sensed and experienced in the present. Installation is not something you can own but must be experienced. It is not a sales item which can only be owned by the few.

It's wonderful when one's artistic work and attitude to art in this way has been understood and appreciated even though it is very abstract and incomprehensible I get sometimes very direct recognition for my work as an artist. For example, when I created the installation 'Metamor'phosis' in the former Burmeister & amp; Wain Shipyard hal 1999 / 30x22x90 m.

 Burmeister & amp; Wain Shipyard hal 1999 / 30x22x90 m.


A man in his sixties approached me and asked if I was the artist. I nodded and he continued. Yes I get a little sentimental, for you see, I've been working here at the shipyard for more than 30 år.- The hall has damn never been prettier than it did now. It is completely fantasy. I'll fucking say to the guys - they should damn watch.

I felt deeply honored this direct statement from someone who probably never normally have had to deal with this abstract concept of Installation Art. I had hit him deep in the soul.

As the ship hall was in use, there has certainly been an incredible noise and swirling sparks from dozens of forging and welding work. It has certainly been a big chaotic noisy universe.

I had symbolically cleared the hall for all that visually disturbed the hall's architectural structure. I have hanged 5 amphorae up in the hall's central axis with gas flames at the top as 5 candles.

Organ composer Carsten Møller had created a meditative organ sound loop, which filled the room, creating an otherworldly atmosphere.

Factory halls are gone and got our time new hallowed halls, in a nostalgia of the bygone factory culture here in Denmark. A memory of a time that has disappeared.

As Installation Artist, it is important to consciously highlight the whole and not just your work. The ship hall in this case was a substantial part of my work. All these factors combine to make the hall has never done better for the former ship worker.

I had for some years as an active political acknowledge that there were others who were better at fighting analytical actively in the fight for economic equality. The background and my strength is to express myself visually and to fight professionally for the spiritual cultural revolution. I believe that art and culture are an important factor to create the whole person.

When I now travel around and seek out those who are materially at least, I experience in some a life force and harmony when implementing their family context, clothing and building style is a natural part of a larger cultural context that has not been destroyed by an occupying power. You sense they have an awareness and pride about who they are.







Bjarne v.H.H.Solberg 

Artist & Scenographer
BvHHS@email.DK
www.BvHHS.com
+45 30230036






-->

Ingen kommentarer: