tirsdag den 12. maj 2015

MOTORCYCLE INDONESIA / JAVA / YOGYAKARTA JOURNEY 2015 no.1

MC. Honda 200 cc. Sport Tiger 1998



MC.Indonesia / Java Journey 2015

27 april -17 maj 2015
Motorcycle report B.v.H.H.S.

Now I'm on my annual Motor bike journey no. 7. It is again Indonesia, where my starting again will be from Yogyakart. In 2009 I was on a 4-week MC.Journey around in Indonesia starting from Yogyakarta there is located on the island of Java and further around the Bali (see my BvHHS.BlogSpot.com - Archive 2010 February). A stunningly beautiful and very different trip than the 4 MC.Journey I have resolved in different parts of India.

This time I'm going to explore West Java on my MC.Journey and not a reunion with beautiful poetic but also touristy Bali that does not really represent the Indonesian Muslim Culture.

Before this MC. Journey I have been Artist in Residence in Yogyarkarta for 7 weeks where I have created 3 Installaltion directly to Kersan Art Studio, with exhibition 19 March to 19 May and in Jogyakarta Open Studio May 29 - 14 june 2015. 


To see and read more about the exhibition
(see my Blogspot) Artist in Residence 3 )

I like to travel writing and capture visual images

Throughout a lifetime, I am trained to be an artist to explore, create and produce in a konstrutiv dialogue with an audience. Therefore I feel best when I am active.

My activity in the arts has declined the last few years because I have not had the financial resources and had difficulties to find museums and exhibition spaces. As set designer, my activity also been asleep.

Because I like to travel writing and capture visual images and move in a certain speed, MC. become my preferred means of transport. It gives me a wonderful feeling of freedom, as a lonely cowboy who seek adventure, but also challenges and quickly move on. You are more impressionable and in dialogue with nature, as you become a part of.

With these reports, I force myself to be outgoing and capture visual situations and through word describes some of my brain reflections I get when I on the motorbike, surfing across the surface. It cover also my need to see and experience the world, in a more dynamic and active way.

Through my Blogspot with visual images and words I am in a constructive dialogue with you friends and interested around the world, who like to see and read, how it is to face the world on a motorbike.

In the motorcycle, camera and computer I have found, some tools I can face the world with in an active way. It is tiring, but in a positive way.

I used to traveled to the big cultural city around the world, where I sought out the most sublime works. Now it is the people and the social environment I seek out, and going close through my camera.

With my camera I give myself time to explore themes and issues I would otherwise quickly passing over visually. In this way, I discover new angles, to see and experience the world.













Some facts about Indonesia

Indonesia consists of six main islands and 13 677 smaller islands. Only 3,000 of these islands are inhabited. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelago with 250 mil. pop. Where 86% are Muslim, 10% Christian, 2% Hindus - especially in Bali, 1% Buddhists. Rubber is the country's main export product, other important crops are rice, bananas, coffee and coconuts.

Indonesia covers only 1.3 %. of the Earth's surface, but a region with great natural variation of flora and fauna. 10% of the Earth's flowering plants, 17% of the birds, 12% of the mammals, and 16% of its reptiles and amphibians are represented in Indonesia.

Yogyakarta is a small city with only 400,000 inhabitants. If Jakarta with 10 mil. pop. Is Java's financial and industrial powerhouse, is Yogyakarta its spiritual soul and is said to be the most active and dynamic city in Indonesia within the various art movements.













Problems with the extension of my residence permit

First 8 days after the opening of my exhibition, I got my passport back, and paper and stamp, that I have got extended my stay in Indonesia, so I can take on my MC.Journey. They demanded that we showed up four times on Immigration office there was 45 minutes. drive away. They had not initially told exactly throughout the procedure and what to use of information and the papers. One office did not really know what else demanded. So one day took the other. On Friday we got paid as agreed, but we had not been informed that it would take one working day before they could approve the payment. Therefore, I could first get my passport today. In similar situations, it is smart to couple an example travel manager on the job, who knows the whole procedure. It pays.










MC.Honda / Sports Tiger 200 cc.  1998

From my MC.Indonesia Journey 2009 I was well aware that it could be a problem to rent a motorbike. that was larger than 125 cc. It was the size of MC. and scooter all had, and there were several hundred to rent. I could see that there were many more private that having the larger MC. than in 2009. Here in Indonesia, there are not many tourists like me who drive on MC. joruney. Therefore, there ar so few to rent.

After the opening of my exhibition, I spent two days asking various MC.shops. Most referred to the area by the railway station, where I rented my Honda Tiger in 2009 . The store from then do no longer existed. I found only two big MC. One was an older Honda the other was too sporty. Both persons and their MC. looked not quite reliable, so I searched diligently on.

A travel manager could remember that there was a guesthouse perhaps possessed a larger machine. He rang. They had a Honda Tiger 200 cc. and it would cost 75 IDR. Pr. Day ( 6$.) The next day I turned up with a copy of the passport, as well as $ 200 in cash as collateral instead of my passport for MC. was not insured, but had a front wheel lock fitted. So my 1 ½ kg. heavy chain lock, I had brought from Denmark, I got no use for this time.

It was an MC. Honda 200 cc. årg. 1998. Completely similar to the one I rented in 2009 which also happened the same year, according to my notes. Back then in 2009, I applied a luggage cup on the Honda. So maybe it's the same Honda, as this has a fitted luggage cup. It might otherwise be difficult to find a luggage cups to an old model.

It had starting problems. I made the landlord aware that if I had to rent it for three weeks and when I was going on a longer trip, it was important that it had been at a general workshop check. It should at least have a brand new battery, so it could start without problems with a press on a button, so I did not need to use the kick starter. It should also be checked when there had been oil change. She agreed to send the workshop and they should then check how much there has to be done and the price for this.

Incl. Battery and handbrake problems, it was 450 IDR. I agreed to pay half of the bill. At the same time I added that I had to drive MC. on the whole Java. It was pretty cheap rent. In 2009, I paid the same amount per. day.

So on Thursday I had therefore focused on getting on the motorbike.- I bet then on Friday after the payment of visum.- Unfortunately my bet moved to today, Monday.












I just had to find myslef after the large workload with my Exhibition

As always in my career as an artist, it has been difficult to be finish on time, a very hectic and challenging period that sucks the last profit out of one. Therefore, I had assumed that I needed some days where I could get of with some of the tension I through seven weeks had built up in the body and mind.

But first now, a week after, I can feel in the body that I'm back in normal mode, and have the energy to be happy to go. First of all, I like the Indian Ocean and feel the sea, wave power, the fresh wind and the endless expanses.

This MC.Journey I will explore West Java and has therefore chosen to run directly south towards the coast and follow the coastline well against West, then I will drive directly to the north coast and then drive directly to the east in a soft bow back to my starting point Yogyakarta. Nothing in my planning of the trip is fixed, except that I will enjoy a few days at sea.

I have also planned that I will visit an artist colony Jatiwangi Art Factory, Kersan Art studio knows well. Located in Majalenka district somewhat east of the city of Bandung.

At the opening of my exhibition, I talked a with an Indonesian who offered that I could stay with him if my way passed Salatiga.

So now I should just look forward to meeting and enjoy the new situations, I would automatically come out on my motorbike Journey.

'FLOATING SOUL'


 SALT LIFE / LIFE CIRCLE


TIME LIFE / LIFE TIME

 

April 27 at 2 am. I ready to take off

Nissak get picked up my passport and visa here Monday morning, while I ordered the last thing on the installations.

I find it hard to take off, when I was still trying to check it all. Ensure that color powder blend is perfect and so on. Control Freak
























The coastal road is sometimes filled with deep crater that lies very close

Now I'm finally on the way out to new challenges. I have chosen not to run for more than about 100 km. to reach a hotel before dark. I had chosen to take the high road and not along the way stopping to take photos. I would like to reach a city, preferably on the coast, which might have a wonderful Guesthause or Losmen, which they call the smaller hotels here in Indonesia.

I once relatively quickly got to the coast road because the road surface is perfect and the traffic is not bad an only close to the larger cities. Traffic slipping quietly all keep their distance and average speed of the fast-running is not more than 70 to 80 kilometers. Furthermore, the area around Yogyakarta is not an industrial area, so there are not many big trucks. There are not many passenger cars relative tbut at lot of the small motorbike and scooter.

The coast road runs parallel to the coastline, but 2-3 km. inland, so I can not see the ocean from the road. This coastal road is sometimes filled with deep crater that is really close, so I understand why google tells me that to reach the coastal town of Ambel, about 33 km. away, it will take 1 ¼ tim. to drive.

The city Ambel has no Hotel and the people I ask whether there are any hotels in some of the towns near the sea, reply all, that it is only in the metropolis Kebumen, located slightly inland, there are hotels.

They are right, it is only cities with 100- 500,000 inhabitants. I had a chance to find a hotel if it is not on the tourist island of Bali.





This kind of sad and anonymous hotel rooms, reminds one of a dramatic thriller film

I reach Kebumen and now I had to find a fairly decent hotel at a reasonable price. On the main road where it seems that all hotels are located. All Hotels around 8 pieces. reporting full occupancy. I try again to asked or perhaps they know a hotel that does not have full occupancy.

It gradually became dark and it started to rain.

I was lucky to be referred to a hotel that is proving to be a more local hotel. A hotel where, for example truck drivers for accommodation. The price per. Room range from 60-100 IDR.

I'm lucky they have vacant rooms. I choose luxury sweet.

Exactly then the rain starts crashing, so I got MC. and my baggage away from the rain.

The room looks with its screaming little dirty green yellows OK out, at the first superficial look, with its ugly cool luminous bulb in loftet.- But I do not have so many choices.

After unpacking, I discover that the floor by the door into the bathroom is filled with water. Bathroom floor is also filled with water. The bathtub is filled to the top with water and the water runs out of the tap at the small sink.

The water on the floor in the bathroom due to the dripping from the air conditioning vigorously. I'll get the porter. There in Indonesian language probably regrets that it is water from the air condition. He put a plastic trash under the beggest dripping. An ordinary mat take the rest of the water. So now it really sounds when the big heavy drops after a free fall of 2 ½ m. Land in the bucket.

I take a pillowcase and put it over the plastic bucket with a small indentation. It stops the noise from dripping.

I tried not to ask him why the bathtub is filled with water.

When I had to use the toilet, I find out that the toilet can not flush out so all the water in the bathtub is to use after you have been at the toilet. Good that I'm not going to take a bath, although I have been well sweaty during the day. Toilet board is totally broken.

The sound of dripping is pure torture, but also somewhat tragicomic, as I have just created two symbolic installations where the source of life slowly symbolic ticking and the sound of tanks, was poetic in their sound.

Outside my small windows that are right up at the ceiling edge, I can hear the sound of a heavily loaded slow motion running wagons.

There is nothing with this type quite run-down, dilapidated, sad and anonymous hotel rooms their reminds you of some dramatic thriller film with creepy bathtub scenes with the sound of heavily-laden wagons that pass outside the dirty windows.

While I was sitting on the broken toilet board, I see a huge very hairy cockroach coming out of the drain hole located right in front of my feet. Drain grate half recovered from the hole. Cockroach running over the bathroom's floor in a little zigzag and then chooses to seek to drain back where it thankfully disappeared into. I hope that it not creeps into my luggage floating around the room floor.

I did not directly want to use the old water from the bathtub to wash me, so I got water from the tap in a little plast bucket. I saw many small black living creeps who splashed around. But it was probably more in my imagination.






Loving thoughts from Yogyakarta

Bjarne v.H.H.Solberg
Danish Artist & Scenographer
www.BvHHS.com
BvHHS@email.dk


Ingen kommentarer: